Friday, February 27, 2009

Thank You, Grammy...

The other day I was kind of wondering why I had to work on an oncology unit when I thought my love was labor and delivery. I have absolutely LOVED working with new moms at the Women's Center for the past few months and really felt like that was the job for me, yet my Heavenly Father must have had a different plan in mind for me. You know how it is when you have a passion for something and feel like you're good at it and because of the combination, feel that you can really make a difference when you do that thing? Well, that's how I felt about labor and delivery and I haven't been able to figure out why nothing worked out for me to be able to work in that department. Everyone, and I mean everyone, at the Women's Center tried to make things work for me, but due to budget cuts, there was no such luck and I was pretty bummed.

The other day I was talking to Grammy on the phone and the conversation was an answer to prayers for me. She was telling me about her experience when her son, Jim, was diagnosed with cancer. Grammy said that when he was first admitted to the hospital they had a great experience with the nursing staff, who were wonderful to Jim, and became great friends to the family. When her son was transferred to a new hospital the nurses there were distant, totally different from the first set of nurses. She said that it almost seemed as if they were afraid to connect or get close to Jim because they knew he didn't have a long time left on earth. I was appalled as I listened to her talk about her experience to think that nurses could be so uncaring, especially nurses whose careers revolved around patients with cancer, when a family needed nothing more than absolute love.

As I listened to her story, I realized that oncology is the place for me. From that short conversation with Grammy I realized what kind of nurse I need to be in order to make a difference, not only in patient's lives, but also for me to become a better person. Oncology is where my Heavenly Father wants me to be right now. I can be that nurse who connects with her patients and treats them as if they were family. I can be that nurse who makes one of the toughest experiences of a lifetime a little bit easier to cope with. I can smile and make someone's day. I can give a hug to a patient or family in need. I can be there when someone needs a shoulder to cry on or when a family rejoices for remission. I can do my best to show love for some of Heavenly Father's most precious children by the way I choose practice as a nurse. Thank you, Grammy, for opening my eyes to this great blessing and opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. Awe! And this is why I know you are such a good nurse! What a great Grammy you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Mom.
    That's a cool experience. Always nice to figure things out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megean You are so amazing. It would be a hard job, but you are so patient and loving you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for Meagan, I'm so glad that you are a nurse. I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm glad that you had one of those moments. Of course it seems like Heavenly Father always needs to give me a few a year to keep me going. It's hard, but definetely rewarding.

    ReplyDelete